Carey Institute is committed to supporting CBWC pastors in their continuing education as they seek to build skills, access resources, and grow personally, intellectually, and spiritually. Our desire is to enhance, enrich, and encourage their personal growth and professional development as pastors and leaders in their communities.
The CEU program was implemented in 2011 to provide opportunities and accountability for our leaders. Our various courses and offerings at Carey along with our CEU tracking system helps us to fulfill our mandate to build leadership. For pastors, it reminds them of their need to be engaged in the care of their mind, heart, body and soul as leaders.
Click here for the most current CEU brochure.
A Continuing Education Unit is a measure of the number of hours of participation—contact and/or study—in an organized Continuing Education activity. One standard CEU represents ten hours of participation.
Credentialed ministers in the CBWC will complete 12.5 continuing education units over five years (or an average of 2.5 CEU’s per year which is equivalent to 25 hours of learning per year).
CEUs are flexible in modality and content. They are intended to enhance, enrich, and encourage the personal growth and professional development of pastors.
Counting your CEUs
Category I = 1.5 CEU:
- 1-day seminar, with a written reflection of 2 to 3 pages outlining what the pastor learned and how it applies to their particular ministry context
Category II = 3 CEUs:
- Audited courses (including reading) from a recognised educational institution
- CBWC Graduate Internship Program
- Guided Reading Program: Book Lists from a variety of topics or concentrations are available from the CBWC. For 3 CEUs, two or three books are to be read in one prescribed area, with a 2 to 4 page reflection paper on the reading.
Category III = 6 CEUs:
- Credit courses from a recognised educational institution
Banff Pastors’ and Spouses’ Conference:
- Participation in this annual continuing education conference, provided that the pastor attends all 3 Plenary sessions, all 3 Bible Studies, and completes the Evaluation Survey = 1 CEU.
Tracking Your CEUs
All completed CEUs should be self-reported by the pastor.
To create and track your submissions for CEU credits, login (or create an account if you do not already have one) at Carey’s Student Information System.
Pastors who need assistance on accessing the system may contact Carey’s Registrar’s Office at firstname.lastname@example.org. Questions about which Carey seminars and courses are applicable as a CEU, can be directed to Myrna Sears 604.228.4308. Questions about self guided reading, book reflections and other options that may be applicable for a CEU, can be directed to Rod Olson at email@example.com.